Below you will find questions with answers arranged by topic.
Topics are added as questions for them are formed. All are written from the one_monk perceptive which will include citations and references to creeds/confessions/catechisms of those who have come before.
Can the Bible be trusted?
- Absolutely. The Bible is a work inspired by God and is without error. There are far more old copies (manuscripts) and fragments of the Bible going all the way back into antiquity than any other work in recorded history so we have a thorough trail of proofs to the modern copy’s authenticity.
How many books in the Bible are there?
- There are 39 books in the Old Testament section of the Bible and 27 books in the New Testament.
What languages were the Scriptures originally written in? What parts?
- There are three languages. They are Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek. Hebrew makes up much of the Old Testament with parts of Daniel, for example, having been written in Aramaic. Koine Greek is the tongue of the New Testament.
How old is Earth?
- I do not know. Scripture presents an age of at least 6000 years but the Genesis account does not give a specific start date of Earth. See my specific views and more in the following: On Creation, Creationism, Young-Earth Creationism, Old-Earth Creationism, Old vs Young-Earth Creationism
What is creation?
- Creation refers to everything. God made everything that is before us including our very selves. Each is a created work and therefore God’s creation.
What is justification?
- It is a legal term referring to being declared right/just before the law. See the –ologies & Key Terms post for more.
Should Christians be involved in politics?
- Yes. The Christian faith has historically proclaimed a message that has proven to get political on more than one occasion. The key here is for us to remember that our priority is to the gospel and spreading it to all so that their thinking is conformed by Christ. This inevitably will have political implications and, at times, consequences from those who wish to stop the positive impact.
Should Christians run for public office?
- Running to be a public servant would prove difficult but not impossible. You truly need to be called to it and be ready to deal with the push-back.
Is it right for Christians to engage in social justice?
- If by social justice you mean social righteousness, then yes. However, if you mean it as CRT/Cultural Marxists do, then absolutely not. See details as to where I stand on this in On Social Justice.
Is Christ the only way?
- There are many who will try to tell you that there are multiple ways to salvation and “God.” Jesus Christ is quite clear that it is only through Him you can find the path (the way). See John 6:22-71, 8:12, 14:6; Mark 14:53-65.
What is sin?
- It is any want, desire, action, etc. that goes against God’s law. It is transgressing God’s law. (Modernized language based upon the Westminster Shorter Catechism question)
What is original sin?
- This refers to the passing on of what we call our sinful nature. Every human being has a proclivity to sin because of the first sin committed in the Garden of Eden by Adam and Eve.
What is social righteousness?
- It involves doing things. Specifically, doing what Christ called us to do as His followers. We are to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, cloth the naked . . . essentially help people with their basic needs such that they ask why we would even care. The gospel informs every action and we point to Christ in all that we do and say as we do it. It is showing Christ in ourselves to all. It is not a self-righteousness. See Matthew 15:32, 25:31-46; Romans 12:20
- This term was coined during the Social Gospel Movement.